In June 2016 the Mayor of Bristol (Labour controlled) said;
"Bristol has a tremendous wealth of talent and creativity that deserves to be showcased to the world.
"I want culture – and sport – to be accessible to everyone, not just
those who can afford it. I want culture to reach out and overcome
Bristol's social and economic divides.
"With this in mind, I am proud to announce my ambition to lead a bid for
Bristol to become the European Capital of Culture [2023]."
Source; http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristol-bid-european-capital-culture-2023/story-29405966-detail/story.html#J4omCdaoIE6jDCiF.99
On Friday 24th February 2017 :
Mayor Rees said: "We can't afford [Capital of Culture] now, because there's no guarantee we'd get it.
"They [EU officials] invited us to bid, but when you look at the cost of
doing so compared to the fact that we're not really in [the EU] and
there's no guarantee we'd win it, our judgement is – at a time when
we're facing horrific budget decisions – it wouldn't be a wise way to
spend the money."
He said: "The bid for Capital of Culture is impacted by Brexit and
spending that much money for a bid, with a risk of achieving nothing, is
not a good decision.
"We are instead concentrating our efforts on working with the city's cultural providers to enhance Bristol's cultural offer."
Source; http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/bristol-european-capital-of-culture-bid-ditched-as-affect-of-brexit-and-horrific-budget-cuts-bite/story-30159287-detail/story.html
Monday, 27 February 2017
Thursday, 23 February 2017
Cornwall Council Budget 2017 - 2018
I was really disappointed that the Council voted to reject all the
amendments put forward by the Conservative Group to the Annual Budget particularly our well-reasoned argument not to waste £536,000 on an opening gamble for the European Capital of Culture 2023. That opening commitment could then lead to spending another £25 million if successful.
The best evidence is that Cornwall can not win even if the competition continues.
The government has already issued a warning that it will not be held responsible for any money lost as a result of entering the competition. We don't even need to read between the lines to understand what they are saying!
The best evidence is that Cornwall can not win even if the competition continues.
The government has already issued a warning that it will not be held responsible for any money lost as a result of entering the competition. We don't even need to read between the lines to understand what they are saying!
Although
I campaigned for Remain, I do not think we need the European Union to
tell us we are are a Capital of Culture. Further, it appears that the
Council has not read the rules of the competition and we will almost certainly not be
eligible post Brexit.
So, a waste of £536,000 of our money. We said put it into pedestrian crossings and other schemes which will show a real-world benefit.
Cllr
Biscoe backed the EU bid and said there was always money for highways.
This is extraordinary and it is not what was said at a public meeting on
Kenwyn Hill recently.
I
am pleased that money has been obtained from the Conservative government for big schemes like the A30 and also extra money for
potholes, such as £2.9m received last October. The Council reannounced
the £2.9m last week. Cllr Biscoe claimed it had been found from
Reserves. Not so!
The
Conservative Group also put forward that this sum be increased by a
further £9m. This had been allocated to economic development but not spent. There was still £23m left in that 'pot' anyway.
It
is time the Council subjected economic development schemes to a lot
more scrutiny. Not all are bad but even the general infrastructure schemes must show genuine value for money. And just
how much should the Council plough into speculative geothermal schemes
or the Aerohub at Newquay?
I
find that people are sceptical as to whether Councillors know what they
are doing spending money on economic development. Who could blame
them?
Tuesday, 21 February 2017
Capital of Culture - Warning
This is the disclaimer that was issued by the UK Government to any authority or organization considering spending money on a bid to be the European Capital of Culture in 2023.


Monday, 20 February 2017
Newbridge Playing Field
Layout and design features for the proposed Newbridge Playing Field and the Public Consultation Report can be seen by following the links below.
NEWBRIDGE PLAYING FIELD
PUBLIC CONSULTATION REPORT
NEWBRIDGE PLAYING FIELD
PUBLIC CONSULTATION REPORT
Tuesday, 14 February 2017
Update on Town Parking Consultation
Briefing note
Update on Town Parking Consultation
February 2017
Background
Surveys were carried out in early 2016 targeting residents, businesses and visitors in seven towns. Nearly 7,000 responses were received. Over a third of residents and two thirds of businesses surveyed identified parking issues on streets in their locality. Top reasons given for parking problems included: Lack of street space to accommodate all household vehicles; commuters, visitors and shoppers parking in residential streets; double yellow lines affecting parking and loading near businesses; and parking near schools, college, university or hospital. Respondents had a mixture of views about introducing residents parking zones and other parking measures.
Latest update
We carried out a further extensive public engagement in the autumn including letters to over 24,000 households, publicity in town centres, via social media (reaching over 50,000 people), press releases and public events in each of the seven towns.
Over a third of residents who were contacted responded with their views on proposals for new residents parking zones (nearly 8,200 responses).
Over half of the residents who responded had problems parking on the street near their home, with some areas having over 90% of respondents saying it was an issue.
Views on proposals for residents parking schemes were varied, with no consensus across the towns about how to address the parking issues
We recognise that parking on street is a serious issue for some residents but further work is needed to work out appropriate solutions for those areas and deal with displacement parking.
1700 responses (including over 200 from businesses) were received about on-street pay and display proposals alongside 3 petitions with 2091 signatures
90% of respondents oppose the on-street Pay and display proposals
Due to the level of response we received, the detailed analysis is still underway and isn’t due to be completed until later this month.
Next Steps
The data and emerging proposals are due to be shared with local Members in February/March (invitations have been sent out – dates below).
Following these sessions, proposed schemes will be drawn up and presented in a business case for decision by Cabinet later this year.
The individual schemes which require Traffic Regulation Orders will be subject to a formal consultation as part of the legal procedure necessary to obtain the Order.
Meeting Dates
Falmouth & Penryn
23rd February (am)
Penryn
23rd February (pm)
Newquay
28th February (am)
Truro
2nd March (am)
St Ives
9th March (am)
Wadebridge
14th March (am)
Bude
14th March (pm)
Penzance
17th March (pm)
Update on Town Parking Consultation
February 2017
Background
Surveys were carried out in early 2016 targeting residents, businesses and visitors in seven towns. Nearly 7,000 responses were received. Over a third of residents and two thirds of businesses surveyed identified parking issues on streets in their locality. Top reasons given for parking problems included: Lack of street space to accommodate all household vehicles; commuters, visitors and shoppers parking in residential streets; double yellow lines affecting parking and loading near businesses; and parking near schools, college, university or hospital. Respondents had a mixture of views about introducing residents parking zones and other parking measures.
Latest update
We carried out a further extensive public engagement in the autumn including letters to over 24,000 households, publicity in town centres, via social media (reaching over 50,000 people), press releases and public events in each of the seven towns.
Over a third of residents who were contacted responded with their views on proposals for new residents parking zones (nearly 8,200 responses).
Over half of the residents who responded had problems parking on the street near their home, with some areas having over 90% of respondents saying it was an issue.
Views on proposals for residents parking schemes were varied, with no consensus across the towns about how to address the parking issues
We recognise that parking on street is a serious issue for some residents but further work is needed to work out appropriate solutions for those areas and deal with displacement parking.
1700 responses (including over 200 from businesses) were received about on-street pay and display proposals alongside 3 petitions with 2091 signatures
90% of respondents oppose the on-street Pay and display proposals
Due to the level of response we received, the detailed analysis is still underway and isn’t due to be completed until later this month.
Next Steps
The data and emerging proposals are due to be shared with local Members in February/March (invitations have been sent out – dates below).
Following these sessions, proposed schemes will be drawn up and presented in a business case for decision by Cabinet later this year.
The individual schemes which require Traffic Regulation Orders will be subject to a formal consultation as part of the legal procedure necessary to obtain the Order.
Meeting Dates
Falmouth & Penryn
23rd February (am)
Penryn
23rd February (pm)
Newquay
28th February (am)
Truro
2nd March (am)
St Ives
9th March (am)
Wadebridge
14th March (am)
Bude
14th March (pm)
Penzance
17th March (pm)
Thursday, 9 February 2017
Hilary Benn's Brexit Committee visit to Cornwall
The Council expected protests (presumably from Remainers) today and were
all geared up for a surge. In fact only a few officers and the press
attended.
Three
members of the Parliamentary Select Committee on Exiting the European
Union visited Cornwall.
If you would like to watch the whole of the proceedings click HERE but below are some of the highlights of the evidence they were given
by the Council and other stakeholders like the National Union of
Farmers:
1. The Council leadership is looking to Wales for advice.
2. Brexit Opportunity:getting Government money without EU constraints on its use but who knows how much money.
3.
Cornwall is worried that Dept of Local Government has introduced a 'value
for money' test and is asking the Council to underwrite schemes for
which the Govt provides cash.
4.Cornwall will not benefit from £350m of EU funds in 2020 to 2027 but see 2 and 3 above.
5 . Fishing : 92% of catch is exported. So very important to get a tariff free deal.
6. Brexit opportunity : Staycations have increased due to fall in value of sterling.
7.Council
worried about uneven standard of hotel accommodation in Cornwall. Some
German tourists stay in Torbay and make forays into Cornwall. Constraint
on tourism.
8.Brexit opportunity : have a bespoke farming subsidy scheme.
9.Council
considering a regional immigration deal for Cornwall (as are London
and Scotland) to avoid labour shortages in farming, food processing, IT,
research (and also to encourage foreign students).
10.
World Trade tariff rules no good for Cornwall which has 6% GVA in
agriculture and food processing. (eg 40% on UK lamb exports).
11. Brexit has had a negative effect on investment in Cornwall.
12. Brexit opportunity : integrate rules to promote agriculture with rules to protect the environment.
13.
Brexit opportunity : make rules less complex but there may be
unintended consequences and we will still be affected by EU rules and
ideally want to influence them.
14. New markets are there but say, out of £300m per annum sheep exports, £280m currently goes to EU. Hard to replace.
15. Worries about future name protection of Cornish pasty and clotted cream etc.
16. Worries agriculture may be sidelined in bespoke trade deals as tiny part of total export values (2% with fishing /forestry?)
17.
Worries no level playing field for agriculture as some other markets
have different standards eg US market is less stringent about
antibiotics use and growth hormones.
18. Some evidence of software companies considering relocating to EU but sounded very anecdotal.
19.
The Cornwall Isles of Scilly Futures Group has written a paper
'Catalyst for Change' and is determined to make the most of the Brexit
opportunities.
Wednesday, 8 February 2017
Public Meeting – Kenwyn/Hendra Road Crossing
At the recent public meeting the 'No money' Council promised an
'options appraisal' in April to assess how this junction can be made
safer.
Minutes of public meeting available HERE
In the meantime I have
asked for the school crossing patrol to be offered with longer hours to
make it a more viable job and cover after school/breakfast clubs.
Another
short term measure would be to ask Truro City Parks dept staff to cover
this position. I have asked for this to be considered.
20% of school crossing patrols remain vacant positions across Cornwall.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)